Friday, January 1, 2010

End of a Decade

So, like a bunch of other bloggers, the time has come to start naming the best of the decade lists.  This is a hard think to do, especially for me.  Anything that I think is remotely great becomes my favorite ever.  To top it all off, I have limited myself to only 5 for each category.

The categories that I have chosen are mine, and many others, favorite art mediums.  Also, I know that while compiling my lists I have forgotten a few here and there, but this is what I got.


Movies:
5. Kill Bill (Vol. 1 and 2). 

Tarantino does it again with this amazing ability to mix ultra-violence with beautiful dialog while crafting a wonderful 70's homage.










4. No Country For Old Men.

The Coen Brothers have proven themselves as a couple of the best storytellers of the modern era.  In this chase movie they show a character of great morality and evil in a time of change.









3. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

This makes the list for many reasons, but mostly because Peter Jackson took this feat head on and created the definitive film version of one of the most beloved stories in the English language.  Not only that, but all three were nominated for Best Picture.  The only other trilogy to do that was The Godfather.








2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

This is it.  Charles Kaufman had already won my heart with Being John Malkovich and Adaptation, but here he connected with the brilliant director Michel Gondry to put together a tale of pain, loss, and the persistence of memory.  I still weep when I watch this.








...and my favorite movie of the decade...


1. Lost in Translation.  Not only did this earn Scarlett Johnansson an nod from the Academy, a Golden Globe Win, and launched her career, but even Bill Murray got some must deserved respect from this one.  Sofia Coppola had already shown she could make a film with The Virgin Suicides, but she proved that she could create a story that was so smooth and sweet.  I love it.












In the next post I will work on my top 5 albums...expect that one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment