Monday, November 23, 2009

Musical Revolution

Music is a weird thing:  It can recall so many memories, fears, loves, and joys in a simple melody.  Bands come and go, but some stay around for a long time, others disappear leaving behind a legacy pressed in vinyl that people will listen to for many years to come.

For anyone that knows me, I am a huge fan of The Beatles, as many of us are.  They were hands down the greatest and most influential rock band and will continue to be for the future.  There is no sight of anyone taking them down.

Anyway, back in February there was a leaked version of the song "Revolution" that was almost 11 minutes long and seemed to fulfill the rumor of a version of the song that connected the song "Revolution1" and the sound scape of "Revolution 9", both found on what we call "The White Album".  I recently listened to this and was blown away.  First of all, if you need any evidence to the fact that The Beatles were the greatest, all you have to do is listen to "Revolution" and "A Day in the Life" and that should convince anyone.  Second, this was like hearing a brand new song by your favorite band.

Did you ever have that?  A band that you loved so much and could not wait for their new album or single to come out?  I know that feeling so well, mainly from when I was younger.  Now, I am far more patient and other things are important in life.  When I was in high school though, everyone came to me because I always had the newest music before anyone else and a trustworthy opinion on it, along with the meanings and references.  When I first heard this new Beatles version of "Revolution", called "Revolution 1, Take 20", I found that feeling all over again.  It was as if I was a kid, brimming with amazement at the newest release from my favorite band, which in those days were Tool, Nine Inch Nails, or Cake.

A melody is a simple thing.  If you are unaware of the parts of music, the melody is the tune, the thing that you hum when you have a song stuck in your head.  It is wonderful how we as people can find these associations, a simple thing like "ba-da-da-lalala" can find its way into the depth of what some people would consider a soul and transport you to a time or place, a feeling or range of feelings.  Sometimes when I hear certain songs I feel as if I am Billy Pilgrim becoming unstuck in time.

Please my dear readers, comment on your songs, where they take you emotionally, and the stories behind them.  Continue to rock on, and here is the link to that Beatles version if you want to check it out for yourself:
http://nevergetoutoftheboat.blogspot.com/2009/02/beatles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment