Monday, October 12, 2009

A New Project...

Welcome all! Welcome to this new project that I am attempting to start here called "NV Freethinkers".

I live here in Northern Nevada and having lived here now for two and a half years I am tired of the lies, misinformation, nepotism, and general apathy that exists in this area. I wanted/needed someplace to write and speak my mind without getting yelled at and where someone might actually listen and want to engage in intellectual debate.

People around this area are so quick to judge and label, so quick to pounce on whatever Fox (Fix) News says that they just spew it back out as if it were gospel, never taking the second to reflect and wonder if they actually agree with their editorials, because, well, let's face the facts, they do not present news. Fox presents opinion and even when they are honestly trying to present facts, they use their amazing powers of rhetoric to frame their facts the way they want to present them.

Anyway, back to the people:

They are not bad people, most of them. A lot of them that I have talked to and are willing to discuss things on a platform of reason and education come to see how badly their politicians, media, and friends have misinformed them about the world. A lot of them though are only interested in lashing out, and if you disagree and show that their points of view do not hold water, then they just attack. It is no longer debating or exchanging ideas. It becomes hostile and argumentative. At that point you might as well just make fun of their haircut because nothing will get through to them.

Like I stated, I have lived in Nevada for over two years and in that entire time I have only met a couple of people that are like-minded, and I do not mean agree with everything that I think, but when we disagree, we are willing to exchange ideas to try to better both of our understanding of what is happening. So for over two years I have been kept relatively silent.

No more.

Today I heard some one talking (yelling is more like it) about their issues with our President and his politics, but they could not back anything they were saying up with actual reason. It became hate, racism, and just ignorance after a bit. For the first time ever I was so disgusted that I walked away from this person. I am a listener and enjoy trying to understand the beliefs of people. I want to know their logic process. I am one who never shuts someone out, but this person today I could listen to no more. I could not speak up either because of where I live and work. I have to maintain a level of decency with my job, but that would not have been possible here.

I hated myself for not speaking up. I realized that the apathy had gotten to me as well. I was sickened by this person's display, but all I could do is walk away. I knew that if I tried to say something, I would just get shut down and yelled. I knew that I would not get a word in and even if I did. It would just fall on deaf ears. What else could I do? Walk away. There is a great song lyrics that says "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding" and that was how I felt. If I did not leave, then I was condoning this person's rants. I did not want anyone there to confuse me with the people that agreed.

Well, I am tired of being silent.

I know that a blog is a pathetic attempt to be heard, but at least it is an attempt. Also, this blog is only the first step in a multi-pronged attack that I am going to attempt to launch in this community.

It is time that I put my balls out there and hope that no one castrates me. If I don't, I do not think that I will be able to look my child in the eye anymore.

Enough rambling for now. I know it is a long introduction, but I wanted to give you some background. In time, you will know a lot about my background I am sure. I hope to have a few fellow writers join me on this site as well.

G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment